where I got my copy: Library
Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux is hired by the dangerously beautiful Archangel Raphael. But this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to track. It's an archangel gone bad.
The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other—and pull her to the razor's edge of passion. Even if the hunt doesn't destroy her, succumbing to Raphael's seductive touch just may. For when archangels play, mortals break.
After two grueling week of reading slump, I am finally back on my niche and that is thanks to Nalini Singh for writing this book. Elena is a vampire bounty hunter, that sounded a little too familiar but the picturesque description of her Manhattan apartment, her notable personality and impressive work ethics immediately isolated her from the "other" VBH that I've read about. I love a dreamy image that is the New York City and in addition to where this story is set there is now a additional architecture called Archangel Tower, ruled by the powerful and dangerous Archangel Raphael, his angel and Vampire equivalent of the Secret Service called the Seven. My imagination went over drive reading this book. I immediately adjusted on how they place and characters look like.
There are simple yet many interesting points that stood out (my opinion) while reading this book. About the Archangels:
1. At the beginning, Elena doesn't seem to know where Angels come from, what no heaven? no hell? Elena hasn't seen any cherubs, do Angels reproduce?
2. Archangels rule every city in the world. Although there are still humans in position (government).
3. Angels are the only ones who can make a vampire. By selective / lottery and the candidate goes through intense test, they only choose 1000/ year and in return is upon their mercy for 100 years of service, disobey and a Bounty Hunter like Elena finds them.
4. Angels have what we call the equivalent of demon juice, ecstasy, aphrodisiac and that is Angel Dust. Which was described as the most enticing / exquisite of chocolates or as Elena put it "orgasm on a stick".
5. They are everything that I want Castiel of Supernatural to be. Bad ass, in every way yet I can't categorize them. Good or Bad? They seems to be neither, well except for Uram (Archangel gone rouge) obviously.
6. Archangel Michaela is a total bitch and I am happy that Elena infuriates her.
7. Jeffrey Deveraux, father of our protag deserves to have a very unhappy situation yet I am grateful for his tyranny, as it molded Elena's character.
8. What are the secrets these Archangels keep?
Characters? I love Elena she is strong independent and stubborn woman who knows how to do her job and has an amazing will power to resist our resident angel. Raphael is just perfection. His arrogance and the hint of cruelty most especially. The supporting characters are amazing too. Elena's best friend Sara and her "occasional" friend Ransom strengthens Elena's character and Dimitri's vampiric prowess and his loyalty to Raphael helped me visualize a big part of their world.
The plot is definitely marvelous. As mere mortal vampire hunter Elena was tasked to do a job of looking for the Archangel turn rogue Uram. Surely she wouldn't stand a chance, only another Archangel can kill one of their own. Despite her awesome persona, I was really concerned for her. And then of course my doubts were all proven wrong. Of course she has hidden powers beyond just any human, I should have expected that really but I didn't, maybe because the "sexual tension" for the first 12 chapters that build up was so distracting. I've read wonderful review about this book yet I didn't really expect it to live up to my expectations. I did and more. I love it!